Friday, May 14, 2010

The Virtue of Hard Work

Proverbs 14:23

          All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

I have been around a few athletes and there are those who work and those who talk. Jerry Rice was a worker. He is known for his ridiculous workout routine. Rice's six-day-a-week workout is divided into two parts: two hours of cardiovascular work in the morning and three hours of strength training each afternoon. Rice succeeded when many others were mere talkers.

It would be easy to write this off as a work ethic that leads to wealth tale only. I think that it applies to other areas of life as well. When I compare my spiritual workout routine to Rice's workout routine, I come up short. I am amazed of how a person can dedicate himself to something that has value in this life only and how little I dedicate myself to the things that last forever. I understand that I am saved by the free gift of God. Knowing that I cannot add anything to the salvation God has given me, what would the rest of my life look like with a "little" hard work?

No comments:

Post a Comment