Wednesday, February 3, 2010

God's economic recovery plan

Proverbs 3:9-10

Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

I was taught as a young boy and later became convinced myself in adulthood to give the first 10% of my income to support the work of my local church. The teaching of the firstfruits is to give to God's work before you satisfy any other needs or obligations as a sign of faith that God will provide your needs in the good times and bad. I must confess that when times get tough, I may be tempted to give to other things before I give to the Lord. This teaching reminds me that I cannot be truly rich if I do not follow commands as my first priority.

Perhaps giving is God's economic recovery plan.

1 comment:

  1. I have found that I should give to the point that we ourselves "suffer." That I miss out on the material things but I've gained a true everlasting treasure. A compassionate, tender heart. Like the woman who had so little but still gave. It was hard to give, but so rewarding for her own spirit. How else can we be made holy through something that is easy and does not refine us?

    ReplyDelete