Thursday, April 8, 2010

Am I Listening?

Proverbs 8:33

"Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it."

As a parent I am aware that there is a difference between hearing and listening, and so I have learned to ask two basic questions.

(1) "Did you hear me?" -- This allows me to inquire whether or not my words were perceived by ears other than my own. There are times when I don't receive a response to my instruction, and it's simply because it was not heard. Perhaps I was speaking softly or the hearer was in another room.

(2) "Are you listening?" -- I tend to ask this question when the hearer who is in ear shot, is somewhat engaged, but may also appear distracted or disinterested.

Recently, I received a taste of my own medicine when my enthusiastic preteen began a very detailed sports-related discussion that I found difficult to follow. When my disconnection from the conversation was detected, I was asked "Mama, are you listening?" Humbly and lovingly, I apologized . . . and since then have made a real effort to demonstrate active listening skills whenever that topic is re-introduced -- out of love and respect for my child.

Today as I read Proverbs Chapter 8, I asked myself "I'm within ear shot, but am I listening to my Father?" Verse 33 commands me to give the Word my full attention and to obey. When I am listening, I am engaged and motivated to action. I am willing to make the choice to stay plugged in and to respond to what is being said because I love, respect and trust the One who is speaking to me.

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."
(James 1:22)

Are YOU listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment