Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our Children's Inheritance

Proverbs 14:26


          He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it
          will be a refuge.

I often think about the inheritance that I am going to leave for my children. I wonder if what I accumulate in this life will be enough to help them or their grandchildren get a good start in life. If you ever talk to a financial planner, they usually make you believe that you do not have nearly enough to retire, nor to leave anything worthwhile to your children. I am happy for this proverb; it points us to the greatest gift we can give to our children. If we fear the Lord and rest secure in his fortress battered by life's storms, our children will look at our example and take refuge in him as well when they face their own difficulties.

This does not mean we have to be perfect parents or that would take me out of the running already! But, our children should see us constantly running to God for support and encouragement. Our security in God is the best inheritance we can leave our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment