Saturday, April 3, 2010

Discipline and Delight

Proverbs 3:11-12
         
            My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his
            rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a
            father the son he delights in.

I only fight with people I love and with whom I have a long-term relationship. A fight should only be lavished upon those you love and delight in. I have ten children in my home. You can imagine the opportunities for confrontation. A part of me wants to lighten up and sometimes give up. What keeps me going is the fact that God has put each member in my household and I love them. In fact, my love gives me strength to fight.

How much more the love of God for us; He made us, loved us, and stayed with us even when we turned our back on him. He loved us so much that he allowed his Son to die a painful death as a payment for our sin so that we can feel the warmth of his embrace. He disciplines us because he delights in us. The next time we feel the hand of God upon us, smile, he delights in us enough to discipline us.

No comments:

Post a Comment