Sunday, April 4, 2010

Talk to Your Kids

Proverbs 4:1-4

          Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain
          understanding. I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my
          teaching. When I was a boy in my father's house, still tender, and
          an only child of my mother, he taught me and said,

              "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands
               and you will live...

As a parent one of my favorite things to do is talk to my kids about life. After our Sunday evening gathering time to discuss the sermon of the day (which can be a bit threatening for a child since I am their preacher as well as father), one of the children starting asking all sorts of questions. We went from discussing evolution to homosexuality, to same-sex attraction and a few other topics. In this wide-ranging, free-for-all discussion my greatest desire was to communicate scriptural words of wisdom that my children could live by. I pray that they will lay hold of my words and keep God's commandments and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment