Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rebuke, Dishonesty, and Compassion

Proverbs 29

Doesn't it seem that some people never learn? Even after they are corrected time and time again, they continue in their stubborn rebellion. Don't envy them, for there will come a point of no return.

          A man who remains stiff-necked after many rebukes will suddenly be
         destroyed--without remedy. (1)

If our spouse, children, or co-workers are dishonest, make sure we are not the ones causing them to stumble by tolerating dishonesty in our affairs.

          If a ruler listens to lies, all his officials become wicked. (12)

I have been staying in an inexpensive motel in Washington, D.C. I have to admit that some of the other clients are a bit sketchy. Rooming for one night, smelling of alcohol, and using colorful language. I was convicted that I didn’t have compassion for my hotel mates. Have I been away from poverty for so long that I run away from it? The Lord cares for the poor and marginalized. He taught yet once again that so should I.

          The poor man and the oppressor have this in common: The
          LORD gives sight to the eyes of both. If a king judges the poor
          with fairness, his throne will always be secure. (13-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment