Saturday, January 23, 2010

Avoiding Extremes

Proverbs 23
1 When you sit to dine with a ruler,
note well what [a] is before you,

2 and put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.

3 Do not crave his delicacies,
for that food is deceptive.

4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich;
have the wisdom to show restraint.

I am a person that has either an "on" or "off" switch. When I am working, I work, and when I am resting, I rest. Much like my three year old, I run all day until I collapse; like today when I needed to take a nap in the middle of a meeting because I ran out of gas. Aristotle is credited with coming up with Golden Mean, the midpoint between virtues or vices. Moderation is offered as an antidote to keep us from harming ourselves with either inactivity and hyperactivity. In Genesis 2:1, the Lord rested after his creation of the heavens and earth. He taught a pattern of work and rest that can sustain us. Are you pursuing a balanced life?

No comments:

Post a Comment