Friday, January 15, 2010

Words Matter

Proverbs 15
1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. 
The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly. 
4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit. 
23 To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!

What I say, when I say it, and how I say it matters. Sometimes in my desire to keep it real, I say whatever is on my mind without any special care to calculate my words and tones to benefit my listeners and not just make me feel good. My words must be targeted to provide the most good, even when my message may offend someone. Like I told some friends last night, “We rarely remember what we argue about, but we definitely remember how we feel after the argument.” If there is any pain in our communication, let it be caused by the message, not the messenger.

1 comment:

  1. In everything we do (and say), God wants us to treat others as we want to be treated. Jesus said this is the second commandment to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind."

    ReplyDelete