Monday, January 18, 2010

Who is Right?

Proverbs 18
17 The first to present his case seems right,
till another comes forward and questions him.

One of the first lessons that I learned as a young pastoral counselor is that there is more than one side to any story. Instead of making decisions based on the words of the first person to speak to me, I have learned to recite this verse repeatedly in order to keep perspective on a situation. I say things like, “According to what you have told me, which is only one side of the story, it sounds like…” Or, “Since you are the one talking to me now, let’s focus on your responses to the situation; please do not speak about someone else’s behavior, I would be glad to hear from them if they decide to speak to with me.”

How do you respond when you receive a report about someone else? Do you automatically believe what you have heard? Or, do you suspend judgment until all the facts are known?

What other verses in this Proverb spoke to you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment