Sunday, January 17, 2010

Loving the Poor and Devastated

Proverbs 17
5 He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished.

I have to admit that I have not always been the most compassionate to the poor or overly concerned for those who have been ravaged by natural disasters. But God has given me several opportunities to live among the poor and to become friends with those who have suffered natural disasters in Florida, Sri Lanka, New Orleans, and now Haiti. I have seen that ignoring the poor or devastated, or judging them for their station in life, is not only ignorant and cold hearted, but contempt toward the God who made them. As one who claims to love God, I can no longer just look at the world in indifference. To love the poor and devastated is to love God himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment