Saturday, March 27, 2010

How Much Is Enough?

Proverbs 27:20

          Death and Destruction are never satisfied, and neither are the eyes of
          man.

A talented man I know once told me that he felt a definite call on God's life to go into vocational ministry, but he felt that he needed to make money to support his family.

A young man tells me that he loves his girlfriend of five years, but he doesn't think he can afford to get married now.

A young married woman with tears in her eyes tells me of her deep desire to have children, but her husband doesn't believe that they cannot afford children due to their financial condition.

To each of these people I asked, "How much is enough?", "What is your number?" "When will you now when you have enough money to go into full-time ministry, afford to get married or have children? I have rarely met the person that places a self-imposed cap on their salary. When was the last time you heard a CEO of a large company or an athlete say, "You know, I have made enough money in my career, I don't think I need any more?"

The point is that we need to place our trust and confidence in God and not our bank account for ultimate decisions in our life. We need to learn to say "enough" of our own desires and yes to God's design for our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment