Thursday, March 11, 2010

One for All

Proverbs 11:14
For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure.

A friend mine who serves as a chaplain for professional football team made the following comment the other day. "A basketball team can win a championship with one or two superstars and the rest of the team can be average. In football every player on every play is vital to the success of the team. When a left tackle misses a block, the quarterback gets sacked." Success in life, church, and business is dependent on everyone contributing to the work before them.

As I get older, this Proverb makes more and more sense. I have seen things prosper and fail based on the accessibility and reception of good counsel. I am learning to submit my ideas not only to the Lord, but also to those he has placed around me. I see this Proverb as a call to seek out worthy advisors whenever I start a project.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way this verse reads in the Amplified version. "Where no wise guidance is, the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

    It makes me think of the phrase "safety in numbers." I'm reminded today that both safety and victory are contingent upon wise counsel, which is why GOD must be Number One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful to the Lord for the "worthy advisors" in my life!

    ReplyDelete