Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

There is often a disconnect between what I say I believe (espoused theory) and what I do (theory-in-use). The words of God are not meant to be studied alone; rather they become alive when we cherish them and direct our lives by them. True wisdom closes the gap between espoused theory and theory-in-use.

Proverbs 7:1-3
My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you. Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

James 1:22-25
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord that He helps me to bridge the gap (that Orlando described) in my own life! I am so thankful for God's grace and mercy.

    "Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.". (Lamentations 3:21-23)

    "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.". (James 1:5)

    ReplyDelete